Using the Picture Book Month Calendar, I am going to post five favorite picture books of mine for each day of November. Today’s theme is the zoo.
1. A Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. Stead. When a zookeeper takes ill, his zoo friends come to take care of him.
2. Wild About Books by Judy Sierra. When a bookmobile drives into the zoo by mistake, it isn’t long before the librarian has all the animals going batty about books. This is a great read-aloud.
3. Zoozical by Judy Sierra. In this sequel to Wild About Books, the animals host a talent show.
4. Tiger Pups by Tom Harvey is a nonfiction picture book about three tiger cubs who were adopted by a dog when their mom stopped nursing them.
5. A Tiger Cub Grows Up by Joan Hewett was one of my former first graders’ favorite reads during the school year. See how a tiger is raised at a Wild Animal Park.
One of the books I’ve had the longest in my life is a simple little board book of zoo animals. It’s held together now with packaging tape on the binding. What can I say? Animal books can be very dear.