Using the Picture Book Month Calendar, I am going to post five favorite picture books of mine for each day of November. Today’s theme is transportation. I found the timing of this theme very appropriate because I spend many of my Sundays driving.
1. Hot Rod Hamster by Cynthia Lord is the rhyming celebration of a car race.
2. Mini Racer by Kristy Dempsey is the story of 12 animals racing around the track.
3. Shark vs. Train by Chris Barton is the contest to see if the train is the greatest or if the shark is the greatest. I love their expressions during the different contests.
4. Knuffle Bunny Free by Mo Willems is included because of the importance of the plane flight to Trixie’s story.
5. Wheels on the Race Car by Alexander Zane is an adaptation of Wheels on the Bus. I used this during summer school in my first experience of trying to balance a book, do the motions and sing at the same time.
This last one is not a transportation book except in the loosest definition of moving from place to place — Meghan McCarthy’s Seabiscuit. I love horse books, what can I say?
No mention of picture books and transportation would be complete without a mention of Richard Scarry. I remember spending hours with his rainy day books when I was growing up.